Monday, November 21, 2011

I love..."Almost Famous".

When I moved into my current apartment I didn't get cable. So when I wanted to watch something, I watched DVDs. On a regular rotation in my DVD player were the "Sex & the City" seasons, "500 Days of Summer" and..."Almost Famous".

The movie "Almost Famous" is on my list of top three movies. It makes me happy. I can quote it. I can fall asleep to it (and I have, several times). I make other people fall asleep to it (like two birthdays ago when my sisters were visiting, I tucked them into my bed and made them fall asleep to it, which is why my sister Lisa now fondly recalls my 'Almost Famous channel').

My love for the movie started a while back, cause it's awesome. If you've seen it, hopefully you're shaking your head in agreement right now. A young boy (and aspiring writer) travels around with a rockband and sees the ins and outs of the road and fame. He meets the lovely Penny Lane and lots and lots of awesomeness ensues. If you haven't seen it, you need to see it. Here are some of my reasons why...

The Quotes: As I mentioned, I could pretty much quote the whole movie, but I'll spare you. Instead here are a few highlights.
  • "It's all happening!" - Once you hear it in the movie, you find it's pretty easy to use in day-to-day situations. When you do say it and someone around you offers recognition of what movie it's from, it's like you've found a secret club of Almost Famous groupies (well, Band-aids).
  • Some other favorites: "Your aura is purple!"; "Feck you!"; "I hurt the flower."; "Rockstars have kidnapped my son."; "I didn't invent the rainy day, man. I just own the best umbrella."
The Music: Of course with a movie about rockstars, there's plenty of music throughout. There are some songs I can't hear without thinking of the movie. I'm okay with that.
  • "Tiny Dancer" - Ah, the bus scene. This movie moment made me forever fall in love with this song. One night in college I snuck away from a party to go back to my apartment and listen to it. One of my roommates came home to find me dancing alone to it on our coffee table. Luckily she and a couple other friends happily joined in as we all sang along. As great as that was, I still can't wait for the day where I'll be on a bus and this will happen:
  • "Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters" - Another Elton John song made its way into the movie. Though I'm not looking to recreate this particular scene, I did take a liking to the song. Unfortunately it didn't make its way onto the soundtrack, so I quickly bought the next CD I could find with it.
  • "The Wind" - Penny Lane hangs out after a show to dance around on the trash left behind by fans as this Cat Stevens song plays in the background. It may sound like a weird scene, but I've noticed that after a concert when the lights come on and people have cleared out, somehow the trash of fans does look more poetic than trash looks when left on the side of the road.

Etc.: Want more? Well, there's also the fact that at one point in the movie the band sings a song written by Shel Silverstein. Or that the band plays a show in Cleveland and stops at Swingos. Or that the main character is a writer who gets an amazing opportunity.

Still, these are only a few tidbits to explain why I love this movie. I watched it again last night and today the aftertaste of it still makes me want to be a rockstar, or Penny Lane, or something in between.

Tonight my inner-Jenny is calling for an encore viewing, so as soon as I post this I'm going to press play on the DVD player. Why fight it..."it's all happening!"

No comments:

Post a Comment